Sources: Moyes in frame for Everton return with Silva on brink
David Moyes is being considered for a return to Everton to replace under-pressure manager Marco Silva, but sources have told ESPN that there are divisions within the Goodison Park hierarchy over the Scot returning to the role he left in order to take charge of Manchester United in May 2013.
Silva, who replaced Sam Allardyce as Everton manager in the summer of 2018, is fighting to save his job after Wednesday’s 5-2 defeat against Liverpool at Anfield left the club in the Premier League bottom three.
The former Hull City and Watford manager retains the backing of Everton director Marcel Brands, sources have told ESPN, but with the club fearing a relegation battle in the second half of the season, there is also support in some quarters for Moyes to return to help inspire a revival.
Moyes, who was sacked after just 11 months in charge of United in 2014, suffered relegation as Sunderland manager in 2016-2017 and he has not worked since leaving West Ham at the end of the 2017-18 season.
A vocal section of the Everton fan base is against his return as manager, with anti-Moyes graffiti being daubed on the walls of Goodison last week.
Moyes’ supporters regard him as offering stability and experience, however, and a proven track record of being able to succeed at Goodison, following his previous 11-year stint as manager.
Mark Hughes, a former Everton player, is another candidate, although sources have told ESPN that the former Manchester City and Southampton manager is an outsider to replace Silva.
The lack of proven and available candidates to succeed Silva could yet keep him in his job, however.
Everton face Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal in their next three league games, and if Silva survives, Sunday’s home game against Chelsea is likely to be decisive.